The Assessment of Interleukin-15 and Interleukin-21 Gene Expression and Serum Level in Celiac Disease Prevalence Patients


Eighty-four Iraqi patients (Male & Female) with celiac disease with an age range
(3-65) were investigated. Samples were taken from the Al Karama Teaching Hospital period October 2020 – to June 2021. Data sheet was filled according to questionnaire format, which include name, age, smoking, family history & alcohol intake. The patient’s diagnosis was based on some serological test (AGA, tTG) the patients were clinically subdivided into treated and untreated. Twenty-seven controls were selected randomly from apparently healthy individual (31 male & 53 female). This study aims to evaluate evaluated some genetic & immunological parameters; her were: 1-Determine whether the gene expression and the serum level of interleukins (15 and 21) have an effect on the functioning of the immune system in individuals with celiac disease. 2-Evaluated CD gene expression of treated (gluten-free diet) and naive (untreated) CD patients compared with healthy individuals. The study methodology was based on an ELISA test kit provides a quantitative in vitro assay for human autoantibodies of the IgA class against tissue transglutaminase in serum or plasma. Result shown in Table (2) indicate that the majority of patients in celiac disease were diagnosed in females more than males; in the other hand, 66,67% of the confirmed treated Patients with celiac disease were females, while 33.33% were males, 40% confirmed untreated Patients from celiac disease were males when they were females 60 %, moreover furthermore 62.96% control female group more than 37.04% male control group with a significant difference (P-value 0.03661). The collected data showed that 23 (76.67%) patients had no clinical history of celiac disease in the untreated group; on the other hand, only 7 (23.33%) had a clinical history of the patient in the same group, while 1 (3.7%) ) The group of patients treated with no clinical history more than 26 (96.30%) and the patient in the same group had a clinical history, as well as 20 (74.07%) patients, had no history of celiac disease in the control group 7 (25.93%) Patients with a family history of celiac disease in the control group, with highly significant difference * (P≤0.05), ** (P≤0.01), (P-value 0.0001). he casuistic in table (3) showed the serum of 84 patients, including 30 with celiac disease without treatment tTG-IgA (5.41 ±0.27 b), tTG-IgG (3.76 ±0.27 b),27 patients treated group tTG-IgA (10.65 ±1.84 a), tTG-IgG (7.31 ±1.46 a) and 27 healthy as controls tTG-IgA (3.62 ±0.19 b), tTG-IgG (2.72 ±0.17 b), with P-value tTG-IgA (0.0001), tTG-IgG (0.0007), within significantly high difference ** (P≤0.01). The variants represented IL-15 and IL-21 gene expressions of celiac patients untreated, treated group, compared with that in the healthy control group individuals. The results showed that of IL-21 expression in untreated patients was (27.22 ±0.23 a) tables (6) and (7), while treated group (27.37 ±0.24 a), more than control group (25.04 ±0.53 b), with high significant P-Value (P≤0.01). At the same time, the expression of the IL-15 gene in untreated patient was (29.50 ±0.40), while treated group (29.63 ±0.26a) and control group (29.04 ±0.81), with non-significant P-Value (P≤0.706).


CD, IgA, IgG, enteropathy, gastrointestinal